Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour. One of my favorite sites to find tried + true baking recipes!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or apple sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coffee or esspresso
- 1/3 cup uncsweetened cocoa (I like to use the Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 cups or 2 medium shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa, and flour, mixing until well combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a light smear of chocolate from the melted chips).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack.
- Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.