If you’re like me when you start creating a baby registry for the first time you have no idea what to add! How do you figure out what is essential and what is just for fun! How many burp cloths do you need?!
This can result in asking Google for the answers, and don’t get me wrong – there are a ton of very helpful guides out there, but a lot are sponsored or affiliate links. Although I am only a year into motherhood, I now know what was used every day from my registry and what items weren’t.
Just to preface my take on baby items – my hubby and I value quality over quantity. We would rather invest in items that will last and are well made than those that would have to be thrown away or replaced in the future. We also value a home that is decluttered and don’t love having a ton of “extra” lying around. So everything that I’ve included in this list meets both of those criteria – well-made, quality items that are used often (essential if you will!).
- Burp Clothes – we went through a ton of these! We kept them downstairs, upstairs and in the diaper bag, so you’ll want at least two sets. The Burt’s Bees clothes are super soft, absorbent and we found that they didn’t stain. Although the muslin burp cloths are popular – the ones we tried were a little scratchy and I just liked these the best!
- Newborn Diapers – You cannot go wrong with bringing diapers to a baby shower! And these are by far the best option, especially for newborn sensitive skin! The last thing you want is for your baby to have a diaper rash or be allergic to the diapers you choose. The Honest Company diapers are super soft, absorbent and, fit incredibly well. We tried other natural brands such as Seventh Generation + Pampers. Both gave our son a rash or leaked.
- Aquaphor – This is the only skin cream or diaper cream you will ever need. Our pediatrician told us to use this and nothing else, and boy was she right! This stuff really works, and only has one ingredient. Because we use the Honest diapers, our son rarely gets a rash or redness but when he does one application of this and it is gone by the next diaper change!
- Baby Bar Soap – This is the ONLY baby wash you will ever need! It is all-natural, non-toxic, and smells delicious. Our son’s skin has never been dry or irritated, and he has a bath every night! One bar of soap lasts approximately 6 months too! If you do want to add a little extra to go with the soap, the baby powder and baby oil from Primally Pure are also wonderful. I wouldn’t use anything else!
- Rohm Portable Sound Machine – Every mama needs this! Seriously, we use our sound machine for at least 14 hours a day. And it is still going strong, even over a year later. In our experience, having white noise really soothes the baby and helps them get better sleep (and we all know how precious sleep is!) This one has lovely sounds, is rechargeable + portable so it can be strapped to the stroller, car seat, or taken on your travels.
- Ollie Swaddle or Love to Dream Swaddle – speaking of sleep, a swaddle that is easy, secure, and comfy is literally everything as a new mom and will not only increase the quality of your baby’s sleep but also allow you to get more rest too. You will be getting that little babe in and out of the swaddle every 2-3 hours, day and night. Believe me when I say that you don’t want it to come undone, and you don’t want it to be complicated! We tried a lot of swaddles and ended up using these two exclusively. I would have both on hand or add both to your registry. They are also easy to wash and hold up well!
- Bibs Pacifier – You may be sent home with a pacifier from the hospital. We found that without the small bulb on the end, it fell straight out. After trying basically every other kind of pacifier, our son LOVED these! We are so thankful that someone gifted them to us at our shower. They were also recommended by our lactation consultant.
- NoseFrida – This sounds a little bit strange at first, but yes – you absolutely need this!! There is nothing worse than a newborn who is congested or has nasal secretions and can’t breathe well. This ingenious device is easy to use and makes a huge difference. Don’t come home from the hospital without one!
- Lastly, you can never go wrong with a Gift Card for Take Out or Amazon – There is nothing quite like being newly postpartum and having a nourishing meal available for you without having to cook. I appreciated the take-out gift cards and the amazon gift cards immensely as a new mom!